Oncotarget’s Dr. Mikhail Blagosklonny has revealed the power of Rapamycin to heal many diseases. Rapamycin, also known as Sirolimus, is a drug used by doctors after a transplant to prevent cases of organ rejection. The drug can also be used to treat a rare lung disorder as well as cancer. When Rapamycin reaches the market, it goes by the name Rapamune.
The drug was first discovered on bacterium located on Easter Island in 1972, and it was used to fight fungal infections. But due to its antiproliferative and immunosuppressive properties, physicians stopped using it as an anti-fungal agent. Mikhail Blagosklonny who teaches Oncology at the Rosewell Park Cancer Institute based in New York is known for his extensive research in aging and cancer. He is also the Editor-in-Chief at Oncotarget. Dr. Blagosklonny is advocating for the use of Rapamycin to counter aging.
He believes that Rapamycin possesses imminence potential to cure a variety of diseases because it has the distinct characteristics. This drug is used for:
- Used during organ transplant to prevent cases of organ rejection. Previously, drugs used for this purposes would cause toxicity in the kidney when used for an extended period. But Sirolimus out ways them because of its lower levels of toxicity.
- Used to treat hemolytic-uremic syndrome – this a complication caused by a combination of anemia, kidney failure, and low levels of platelets. This result in renal disorder. To solve such a complication, the patient needs a kidney transplant. Rapamycin is used to prevent re-infection of the new kidney.
- Used to treat Lymphangioleiomyomatosis (LMA) – affects lungs primarily in women of childbearing age. Rapamycin blocks the spread of this infection.
- Used for coating the coronary stents to avoid the occurrence of re-stenosis especially after the procedure of balloon angioplasty. Rapamycin helps physicians to avoid repeating this procedure often.
- Used to treat cancer – helps the body to fight tumors
- Used to treat Tuberous Sclerosis Complex which is a common congenital disorder
- Used in treating Facial angiofibromas. Rapamycin is used in the form of gel, cream or ointments
- Used to increase the lifespan of a person – Dr. Mikhail Blagosklonny has led research to uncover more about this fact. But previous examinations done on the mice showed that it helped them fight tuberculosis. And in humans, the drug initiates immunological regeneration in seniors. Though the research is still under study, the evidence, therefore, is inconclusive
- Used to treat Alzheimer’s disorder though it is still under research.
- Potentially it can treat Muscular Dystrophy and Systematic Lupus Erythematosus. The research regarding both of these facts is still in progress. But so far, there has been positive progress.
Dr. Mikhail Blagosklonny has helped the research process to uncover the potentiality trapped in Rapamycin. His unwavering faith in research to solve human pains has made him the role model in the medical sector. Blagosklonny wants to use research techniques to find ways that will not only cure cancer but should also be cheap to acquire. He is also working on ways to kill the cancerous cells without affecting the healthy cells in the body. His research that is published on ImpactJournals.com has captured much attention from his peers.